Do you know the signs of being disconnected from yourself?
Most of us don’t have any idea.
We spend so much time disconnecting from how we truly feel, that we have no idea what deep heart and soul self-connection actually looks or feels like.
Part of physical healing, and transforming other issues like depression and anxiety is developing a deep relationship to ourselves.
Being disconnected from our hearts can lead us down so many paths that we wake up on and wonder how the heck we ended up there.
Adrenal Fatigue, chronic anxiety and depression where manifestations of my disconnect from myself for many years. My soul. My heart. Not truly knowing fully who I was.
My past eating disorder and body image issues were also part of the picture of being totally disconnected from my soul and emotions.
So, it’s not a surprise that one of the first things I have clients focus on when we being working together is self-connection practices.
Many women that come and see me, have been pushing themselves to keep going despite their physical signs, and the emotional stuff that they have been keeping undercover for far too long.
The unhappy marriage that is causing pain, the secret battle she has with her body and food, the way she feels inadequate around others who she perceives as having it all together, not feeling good enough, smart enough, beautiful enough.
Common Addictive Behaviors for Numbing Out:
We keep busy, drink alcohol, eat food, sugar, compulsively checking Facebook and email, overworking, filling their calendars, saying yes to every request of others, having our iPhone glued to our hand, television, porn, shopping, are the other ways this heart and soul level disconnect can manifest.
5 Signs You are Disconnected From Yourself:
- Emotional Eating: You eat mindlessly, sometimes compulsively and are unconscious of what you are doing until you empty the bag, container or cookie jar. Sugar is a common go-to.
- You feel unsettled: You are irritable, crabby, edgy, depressed, and feel hyper sensitive to what is going on around you. Be it loud kids, the lineup at the store, little things your partner says or does.
- You check out: Go to any of your addictive, numbing out behaviors listed above.
- You don’t know how you feel: This is a red flag. You have a sudden shift in your mood that seems to come out of nowhere.
- You feel disconnected from others: This is a sure sign you are actually disconnected from yourself.
So, when you notice yourself feeling any of the signs above, what can you do to break these patterns? And why does it matter ?
Living connected to the deepest part of ourselves is the way through healing all manifestations of the physical and emotional body. It is how we experience deeper, more meaningful connection with others, and learn how to take care of our own needs, moment to moment.
When we are connected to ourselves, we can show up much more fully and present with our kids, spouse, friends, clients and colleges. We are better able to be of service to others.
When you determine what your coping, and numbing out behaviors are (what you do to disconnect from your painful or uncomfortable feelings) you can then start doing something different to come back to yourself.
Once a habit has been brought to consciousness, it is no longer a habit, but a choice. Instead of going to coping behaviors that aren’t serving your highest good, try on a new behavior.
Here are a few ways:
- Meditation and journaling
- Movement, go for a walk or do some yoga to get into your body
- Do some deep breathing. I call this the take 5 breath. Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, and exhale for 5 seconds – do that 5 times.
- Connect with someone you love. Hug your child, spouse or pets.
Getting to the root of our tendency to numb out can sometimes take more work than simply implementing these suggestions. Often there is a childhood origin to our coping and numbing out that began in our formative and younger years.
Sometimes we can work with the present through some of the above strategies and practices, other times doing some deep therapy with a professional can be most helpful.
When we truly know who we are, and know how to relate to our self in healthy ways, we will be able to have better relationships with others as well.
I hope you will bring awareness to the ares of your life that you disconnect from yourself, and develop soul nourishing ways to stay connected to your heart.
Does your life need a boost? Take the FREE Energize Your Life Masterclass and Adrenal Health Assessment to see if Adrenal Fatigue is behind your mystery health symptoms.