5 Things 3 Years in My Online Therapy and Coaching Business Has Taught Me
Making the decision to transition my counselling practice fully online in 2016 was something I was so excited to embark on.
To be home for my kids before and after school has always been a top priority for me.
I set up my home office, and quickly started working with clients virtually, from all over the world.
I’d have a relaxed start to the day, make my coffee and head down to my cozy office, surrounded by my plants, crystals, essential oils and candles. I was so excited to get this thing started, and I put my head down, pulled my credit card out, and got to working my ass off to launch this new business.
I love the flexibility an online business allows, and there are so many amazing things about it.
I couldn’t imagine working for someone and being trapped in an hours for dollars model, or being tied to working on someone elses schedule ever again.
And, I have made more money some months since changing the way I work with my clients than I made in an entire year charging $100 per session as a counsellor.
I choose my rates, who I want to work with, and how I want to work them.
I work a 4 day work week, part time, around my kids, self care, health, errands, home care and family.
I’m an introvert, so prefer to be in my own space and energy.
With all that said, looking back, there are some things I have learned along the way that I wish I’d known from the start.
5 Things I wish I new From the Start of Building My Online Business.
- Hiring the right mentor saves you time and money. I made so many mistakes in the beginning just trying to figure it all out on my own. And yes, mistakes are part of the process. But what I wish I had known from the start is how to refine my focus to become more effective. This prevents overwhelm, burnout and having our energy scattered in too many places, which makes us ineffective in the process.
- It’s can be lonely. I believe we need to be surrounded by others who are building online businesses who get it. People that are going after similar things. There will be times when you doubt yourself, and others around you are doubting you as well. “What is that online thing you’re doing again”? Ugh. Having a support network, and being around others who are doing similar things is huge.
- You don’t need all the software, a logo, and fancy website to get started. This was a big one for me. I hired a great mentor to help me in the beginning, but when I got into the group program I was completely overwhelmed, and was trying to implement too many things much too soon. I maxed out my credit cards on web designers, graphic designers, and all the fancy software when I really didn’t need to do all of that in the beginning. There are so many options available now to simplify the digital and tech part of business, but you don’t need to do it all at once.
- Cookie cutter formulas and strategies don’t work. Having invested multiple thousands of dollars on programs, I have learned that you can follow the exact process someone else has had success with, and have it not work you. Finding a mentor who can help you figure out the best strategy and method for YOU is going to be way more effective than taking a bunch of online business programs with no personal direction or support.
- Building a business is an MBA in personal growth. I have grown so much in these past 3 years. As someone who has had a lifelong challenge with depression and anxiety, I’ve had to do a ton of work on myself to get to where I am today. Being in business for yourself requires grit, tenacity, perseverance, courage, persistence and overcoming your own BS. You must bust through the limiting thoughts, feelings and habits that will hold you back from growing in order to make it happen. If you allow how you feel to dictate whether you show up that day, you’re going to struggle. If you doubt yourself and aren’t sharing what you really want to share, it will feel like you’re slogging up hill, in mud. Like health, building a businesses is an inside out job. 90% personal growth, 10% strategy.
I help my clients to bust through their inner limitations that are keeping them stuck in their life and business through inner work, mindset and psychology, and emotional intelligence.
Using a blend of counselling and coaching techniques, we will get to the root of what’s holding you back from fully stepping into your role as a leader.
And because you are not your business, and your business isn’t your life, we will address anything that is coming up in your life that is hindering your ability to show up and be consistent.
I am starting a Mastermind Group Coaching program on April 30th, 2019.
This is a whole life and business year long mentorship group coaching and Mastermind experience.
Because you are a multidimensional being, and your life impacts your business, and your business impacts all areas of your life, this is a holistic program.
It’s for women coaches who have been diagnosed with Adrenal, hormone or thyroid imbalance, who in coaching and mentoring field in their first 2 years of building their client practice.
Your health, energy and inner state is the foundation for it all.
Start by applying for an interview below.